Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonesy_gw

Hibiscus, two problems, please help

Bonesy
18 years ago

I live in South Florida and have these wonderful hibiscus bushes. Unforunately, I am pretty weak in the overall care of them. Two problems I am encoutering. First is a dark greying black, I guess fungus, that is forming on some of the bushes. Along the stalk. This also affects other bushes and plants at various times. The 2nd problem is I believe some insect invasion. The leaves are curling up at times and the bushes tend not to flower during certain months even though I see buds. I believe they flower much better in the winter and I'm guessing that it is too cold for the bugs and they have died and left the bushes. I can't really see any obvious bugs but the most obvious thing I see is a white, cotton-like ball sometimes on the leaves or even on the stalk. They are frequently grouped together. The balls are pretty small about a 1/4 of an inch in diamter I would say.

I would love to know what is coming out of these balls and how to get rid of them as well as the "fungus" buildup I am seeing. Thanks a lot for reading.

Comment (1)

• minibim
    18 years ago

The worse of your problems is the "cotton balls", this is mealy bug and quite possibly pink mealybug. It is a real pain to get rid of and will affect a LOT of plants not just hibiscus.

If by chance you are in Broward, call the extension office and have someone come out. If they verify pink mealybug, they will release predator wasps to attack them - it's the best solution. Maybe other county extension offices do it as well, I just happen to know Broward does for sure.