Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasima_gw

Hibiscus radiatus - tips cauliflowering

Kasima
10 years ago

Hi! I cut my in-ground H. radiatus back severly this spring, and it usually comes back out quickly and grows like mad. This year, it started out well, got about 2 feet tall and all the limb tips are cauliflowering. I don't have a pic, sorry, but they are growing all bunched up. All the new growth is like that at every node. I have another that was grown from a cutting from last year's plant that seems to be doing o.k., so I've taken a few cuttings from it. I did not save seeds from this plant, because I figured it would send up lots of babies, which it has, but the ones closest to it are also cauliflowering. The ones a couple of feet away seem o.k.

A virus in the soil perhaps? We don't spray anything with chemicals.

Unfortunately, I cut back the healthy one in the pot a few days ago. I did get a couple of cuttings but I can't tell if they are doing it or not. They are growing around a palm tree, and I'm afraid that some sort of soil fungus that killed two of our other palms may be in the soil.

Comments (2)

• Kasima
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wanted to add that it looks like typical damage from pink hibiscus mealybug, but there are no mealybugs present on that or any other plant in the vicinity.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Any chance of herbicides used anywhere in the vicinity?

Sponsored