Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwileman_gw

Hibiscus Not Blooming

jwileman
14 years ago

Greetings,

If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. I got a red hibiscus several months ago and repotted it about March, I think. It went through a getting-used to phase, as I call it, and it regrew healthy looking leaves. About 2 weeks ago it bloomed for 4-5 days and the blooms were big and healthy looking. Now 2 weeks later there is no more blooming, and no more growing buds. The plant looks really healthy. It only has a yellow leaf very rarely. I noticed a couple of times that a flower bud would start then it would yellow on the stem and fall off. It is super hot here in Phoenix, but I have it situated so that it gets 3-4 hours of sunlight and the rest of the day is in shade. I have been fertilizing it regularly with powdered mix in water.

Anyone have any ideas? I am super bummed it doesn't have any of those awesome blooms on it anymore.

Comments (3)

• profjohn
    14 years ago

I saw a variegated hibiscus in a garden and looked on google and found it (Hibiscus syraicus purpureus variegata) that has purple flower buds that never open. This is a genetic trait. Could this be your plant>?

John

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Hello,

I'm not an expert in caring of hibiscus that is why I have searched in google. I have attached the link for your reference

I hope this helps you.

Here is a link that might be useful: caring of hibiscus

• sb91710
    14 years ago

Hibiscus will drop their buds almost right before they bloom if it gets to hot. I think I read anywhere above 90 somethin they will start to do it. Ive had it to me a lot out here in so cal.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm