Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennsnyc

Hibiscus: is it dead?

jennsnyc
18 years ago

Hey all -

I live in NYC. I planted a Hibiscus two summers ago. The first winter I brought it inside and the following summer it came back just fine. I left it in its pot too. This past winter I brought it in again. But this summer, nothing. I really don't think it's dead as it's still green at the base of last year's shoots. But there is no growth whatsoever. Should I try taking it out of the pot and re-planting in the garden? Should I just give up?

Thanks for any help.

j.

Comments (3)

• littlepockets
    18 years ago

Mine too! I live in Texas. I have a hardy hibiscus that bloomed & bloomed last year in it's pot. I set it out in the garden last fall. I planted it where I had the pot sitting. I have lots of green leaves around the base but that's all. I've been applying miracle grow, plenty of water. It just sits there not growing. Hope someone will tell us what's going on. littlepockets

• flowerpower326
    18 years ago

i brought mine back form the dead. a gw member told me to put a trash bag around it and tie it up with a few holes at the top.it makes like a greenhouse effect. mine was still in a pot. i did that and left it in the sun a few days and it's alive again. healthy green leaves,but no buds yet. good luck ,maria

• jennsnyc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

flowerpower326...you did the trash bag thing in this heat and it worked? It was almost a 100 today with the heat index. Was it a plastic trash bag?

And Littlepockets, I'm jealous. I don't even have leaves.

Sponsored