Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsinthegarden

my first hibiscus

treelover
15 years ago

I was just given a beautiful hibiscus, covered with orange blooms and lots of buds...no care label, though. I've done a Google image search and can't figure out what kind it is. I've never tried to grow one before, so I need some help figuring out how to care for it.

Is there a way to tell if it's a tropical, and how large it might get? I assume I'll need to bring it in in the winter, right? So maybe I should just sink the pot in the ground for the summer.

From what I've read on this forum, I gather that I'll be watering it often. Does it need full sun here in the south, or would part sun be okay? Does it need any special type of soil?

Sorry for so many elementary questions. Tia!

Comments (4)

• gansn
    15 years ago

if it has shiny, dark green leaves it is probably a tropical. In zone 7 we bring in for the winter. They don't much like temps below 40, and can't tolerate a frost.

In a big pot, say 20 inches or bigger, you can expect to get a 5 foot plant in a couple of years.

Glenda

• pharazon
    15 years ago

Sounds like it could be hibiscus rosa-sinensis "Santana." Let me know if this looks anything like it.

Santana is a particularly prolific bloomer, bearing deep orange flowers on the smaller side, usually under four inches across. My favorite thing about this plant is that the flowers last longer than most hibiscus after you pick them, which make them good for arrangements and hair accessories for a nice tropical look. I've had a flower last three days in cool conditions.

Here in Zone 9, they are planted in the ground everywhere. They die back in the winter, but come back to life in Spring, as lush as ever.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• treelover
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, pharazon, that is it. I'm amazed at the number of blooms it's producing. I'm sure it won't be hardy in my zone so I'll keep it in a pot to bring in during freezes, as you suggest, Glenda.

Thank you both.

• pharazon
    15 years ago

If you'd like to see if it might survive a winter and come back next summer, you should check for them at Home Depot or Lowers. A one or two gallon pot will be less than $10.00.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm