Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelmct2002

difference between a hardy & a standard hibiscus

angelmct2002
16 years ago

I thought I bought a hardy hibiscus only later to find out it was a standard one. I was looking for something that would survive every year in my zone (5), What is the differece between a standard & a hardy?

Thanks for any help with this.

Comments (7)

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi.
    A Standard Hibiscus is a tropical Hibiscus,is not hardy in your zone.I keep mine inside the house at very sunny window,only put it outside in a pot for Summertime .Rosasinensis(Chinese Rose)is very common one.It is a small tree(4'-7')
    Hardy Hibiscus (Rose Mallow) grows in a ground for years and is hardy to zone 3.
    Hope,it helps a little.
    Hala

• angelmct2002
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you. I thought that might be the case. Wasn't for-sure.

• juju222
    16 years ago

I also don't understand this difference. I have lived in SoCal forever it seems and have several hibiscus plants. I thought there was only one kind.

Now I am moving to the Phoenix area and wonder if my hibiscus will survive there?

How do you tell the difference and does one do better there than the other?

Thanks

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

Standard hibiscus, more commonly called Tropical hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) are only hardy in the warmer parts of zone 9 and warmer. These are the hibiscus with shiny leaves and lots of different colors, forms, etc., of blooms.
    Hardy hibiscus include Hibiscus coccineus, moscheutus, mutablilis and many others.
    Depending on where in Phoenix you move to, the tropicals may be hardy.
    Barb

• juju222
    16 years ago

Thank you Barb. I suppose I have the tropical ones then... the leaves are shiny and jagged around the edge.

I am actually going to be in Sun City, slightly west of Phoenix, near Peoria.

Judy

• katrina1
    16 years ago

If the nights get cold then you will need to move the tropicals inside each night. I do not think a hardy Hybiscus would do well in an area which dips below freezing at night in the winter, but then every day the temps rise above freezing.

Hardy Hybiscus work well in the cold, because they are able to go dormant in the winter. But sudden freezing, thawing, and refreezing is very hard on them. They cannot take much of that before they begin to suffer and decline.

• juju222
    16 years ago

Hmmm...moving tropicals inside every night? Oh boy, that sounds like a chore...maybe I'll leave my tropical here and buy a hardy one there.

Thanks.

Sponsored