Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolkaz

TX Star buds being eaten by bugs

carolkaz
17 years ago

I have a 3 year old Texas Star Hibiscus and every year I have this problem. There is some bug (dark brown with wings) that shows up just as my plants start budding. The buds end up with holes, or turn yellow and fall off. Last year I sprayed the plant and almost killed it. Does anyone know how to keep these little guys from killing my buds?

Thanks, Carol

Comment (1)

• tcharles26
    17 years ago

I live in Texas and have this plant., mine has never had a pest problem. My tropical hibs do every once in a while. But I can usually control with soaps and horticultural oils. If the pest isn;t living on the plant, then my two cents would be maybe spray your yard (grass, trees, fence, not the plant)with one of those yard guard products. Most have permethrin which isn't too nasty...

Then try a systemic on the Texas star. (watered into soil not applied to foilage) Something with Imidacloprid as the active ingredient. Imidacloprid, while obviously not "organic" is not too nasty either. Actually, if you have dogs you may have given it to them as medicine. (K-9 advantix)

I'll prbably be chastised for reccomending chemicals....If you're not cool with that then maybe try a different plant.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!