Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Fungus on Hibiscus Buds

Posted by cgaertner09 South East Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 15:27

There is a white fngus that is preventing our hibiscus blooms from forming properly. You can see in the picture the new bud is all shriveled up and not growing properly. This fungus only shows up on the flower buds and leaves on the same stem. Every single bud looks like this and our mild flowering plant spray (BAYER ADVANCED Rose and Flower Insect Killer) is not doing the trick! Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Fungus on Hibiscus Buds

If it's a fungus will your insect killer work? Maybe you need a fungicide.

o

Looks like mealybugs. Imidicloprid is the recommended treatment but it has been linked to bee decline and colony collapse disorder. So please be conscientious if you use the stuff. You can use Bayer Tree and Shrub liquid (Imidicloprid) as a systemic drench or the granules as HVH suggests. A systemic insecticide is absorbed by the whole plant. I'm not sure how long the systemic would be present in the plant, but I would remove blooms for at least 4 weeks so as not to affect any bees.
The attached link has more info on successful eradication. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Treatment for mealybugs

o

I appreciate your help. Looks like we'll try the Bayer Tree & Shrub granules first and then order the HVH Limonene Plant Cleaner to get rid of the rest of the mealybugs.
Hopefully that does the trick, thanks again.

o

You're welcome! :-)

o

Hibiscuses are quite prone to mealybugs and other pests unfortunately. The use of neem oil as an organic treatment works in some cases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trini Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here