Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbressler1976

Ants on my hibiscus....

cbressler1976
14 years ago

I recently just got a hibiscus plant and it is doing really well, with lots of flowers.....but I noticed ants....I looked for other bugs...but I couldn't find any... Is there a natural way to get rid of the ants? ...thanks!...

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Bag of Bees
    14 years ago

I just wanted to pop my head in this thread as well, rather than starting my own. I'm having the same issue. While I'm new to this whole gardening thing, I did some research and saw to search for aphids. I see no aphids or other insects on my hibiscus plant - the ants seem to be showing up for the all-you-can-eat nectar buffet. I prefer to get rid of these things without the use of pesticides as I have some kitties that roam around now and then. I went outside and took a picture of one to see if it might help anyone identify a solution.

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

I don't know why the ants didn't die from you spraying them with soapy water as all I sprayed it removed their waxy coating and they died as soon as I hit them with the spray. As for aphids you can blow them off with a good blast of your garden hose. Thanks for the reminder of using the mint leaves

• Diana195011
    5 years ago

Hibiscus woes! Ants have set up residence in huge numbers! I spray Neem on them everyday!! Every day! Kills existing but is not a deterrent I’ve found. The plant rests against my brick home and the wall is crawling everyday with these pests! I’ll try the peppermint spray and see how it goes. Never had this problem up north in MI. Florida is a whole new world of constant pests!

• Diana195011
    5 years ago

Thank you! Neem has not worked at all.

• User
    5 years ago

You don't have to actually put in the pot, you can put in ground around it. It has borax in it, so don't let pets get it.

Sponsored