Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merkity

my poor path...

merkity
9 years ago

my path is not doing well this year, looks horrible. extra fertilizer hasn't done much to help, so i unpotted it today and found tons of tiny eggs all in the soil - yeck! but also that root ball is right to the edge of its 12" pot - can you say roasted roots? the roots are so thick i can't get in between them at all either. that pile of dirt was all that i got off the roots - not very much at all.

so now its got a new bigger pot so that the roots can grow and not get toasted by the heat - hopefully it will be happier now.

Comments (3)

• User
    9 years ago

Merkity,
    Ugh, I hate that. It ate the soil lol.
    I take a sharp serated edged knife and cut the roots cutting downward. I found when you do that to a rootbound plant it really bounces back faster.
    I'm sure it will be happier now though.
    One of the disadvantages of gorwing in a pot, unfortunately.

• Gutzmek
    9 years ago

Merkity,

Link below has some root prune experiences.

Plant is currently blooming and healthy.

Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: root pruning

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thx - i was thinking about pruning it a bit, but the ball is so tightly packed right now I decided to simply wash as much old soil off and repot in a larger pot to see if i can get those roots to grow out some. I have been feeding them all this year and gave them some bayer 3-1, but i think this one is still heavily infested with thrips OR very weak still - not sure which but i am losing over half the buds. the good news is that i am finally seeing some newer growth and the new leaves are looking a ton better. I think this is going to take me all summer to recover the plant. I have some spinosad on the way - so hopefully that will help a bit.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!