Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hibiscus bud drop

Posted by felipo zone 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 16:54

We have a tropical hibiscus, Brown Derby, which has bud drop. The plant is approximately 18 inches tall and looks healthy, but as the buds develop they get to be a good size and drop. It is so disappointing!! It is planted in a plastic pot with good drain holes, it is in Miracle Grow potting mix, and we keep it outside so it gets good sun. Because of the heat we water it every day using a drip irrigation system. We have examined the plant closely and see no bugs. We have even opened and examined the dropped buds and still see nothing. Still we sprayed lightly with Bayer insect, disease and mite with no resolution of the problem. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be and what to do about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hibiscus bud drop

I had that problem several years ago, but I can't remember how I cured it. The solution was not spraying the foliage but adding the cure to the soil. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but maybe my reply will jog someone else's memory.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaiian Sunset

o

Thrips are usually the culprit with bud drop. Use spinosad to control thrips on your hibiscus.

o

felipo, I remember now that my problem was caused by something called a gall midge. The solution was to treat the soil with a granular compound with imidicloprid as the active ingredient. Remove from the soil any fallen buds, pick the yellowed buds off your plant everyday and get rid of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gall midge control

o

Thanks so much for your help. Will try imidicloprid to see if it takes care of the problem. We have had torrential rains here in south Florida and perhaps that has also played a role.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here