Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
felipo_gw

hibiscus bud drop

felipo
10 years ago

We have a tropical hibiscus, Brown Derby, which has bud drop. The plant is approximately 18 inches tall and looks healthy, but as the buds develop they get to be a good size and drop. It is so disappointing!! It is planted in a plastic pot with good drain holes, it is in Miracle Grow potting mix, and we keep it outside so it gets good sun. Because of the heat we water it every day using a drip irrigation system. We have examined the plant closely and see no bugs. We have even opened and examined the dropped buds and still see nothing. Still we sprayed lightly with Bayer insect, disease and mite with no resolution of the problem. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be and what to do about it?

Comments (4)

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

I had that problem several years ago, but I can't remember how I cured it. The solution was not spraying the foliage but adding the cure to the soil. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but maybe my reply will jog someone else's memory.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaiian Sunset

• hibiscusmaniac
    10 years ago

Thrips are usually the culprit with bud drop. Use spinosad to control thrips on your hibiscus.

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

felipo, I remember now that my problem was caused by something called a gall midge. The solution was to treat the soil with a granular compound with imidicloprid as the active ingredient. Remove from the soil any fallen buds, pick the yellowed buds off your plant everyday and get rid of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gall midge control

• felipo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your help. Will try imidicloprid to see if it takes care of the problem. We have had torrential rains here in south Florida and perhaps that has also played a role.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!