Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joysblooms

save hibiscus with no leaves

joysblooms
13 years ago

Hello All,

I am completely new to the idea of gardening/tending to plants. Many of my students have started giving me plants as gifts and I really want to keep them alive but I am struggling.

A beautiful mandarin wind tropical hibiscus was given to me in late May. It did ok, but I went out of town for a planned day and got stuck (too ill to drive home) for several days. The plants were left to fend for themselves for days on my apt balcony/part sunny. When I returned the hibiscus leaves were turning yellow and falling off. I repotted it according to my FatherIL's directions in an 8 inch pot with miracle gro moisture control potting soil. I water nightly unless it is still wet. Now the plant is barren-not one leaf. I scratched the brown off and there is light green under the brown bark like stuff-so I think it is still alive. I did cut back a few wilted like branches. Today, my heart broke and I brought it inside thinking that maybe the sun is just too much for it--heat index in the 100s.

Is it hopeless? Any suggestions for this poor plant?

Thank you!

Comment (1)

• billums_ms_7b
    13 years ago

Hibiscus love heat, so don't worry too much about that.

Check and be sure excess water is able to drain away when you water you plant. Having water stay in the bottom of the pot all the time will kill the roots of your plant.

If the pot sits on a saucer to catch excess water, you might want to find something to elevate the pot a little bit above the saucer. I once used some old coasters I was tired of for that purpose.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21