Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacklord_kp

Question re Hardy Hibiscus Seedlings

jacklord
13 years ago

I attempted to germinate some Confederate Rose seeds and wound up with two seedlings. They are now about 7 inches tall and in pots. Is it safe to plant them in the ground or should I wait. I have never dealt with Hibiscus before. I am in Maryland Zone 7A. Thanks

Comments (7)

• hibsicus
    13 years ago

Hi.I live in La.My confederate rose,are grown,in the ground.
    They freeze,but do come back up every year.They are well worth
    it.They are so pretty.Hope that this helps.
    Margaret

• jacklord
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks very much.

• pkl2010
    13 years ago

hey Jacklord, 7" plant - in Maryland, I wouldn't, what's it gonna hurt to leave them potted in a safe place over winter till next spring? If your young plants don't survive this winter, you have to start all over again. I'm from Southeast Al. and pretty sure Maryland winter temps are lower than Al. or La. Treat the plant like it is your child - would you send a small child out in the cold? Older tolerates more than younger.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I plant the seedlings in the ground even here in MN where the winters get very cold. I cut them back in the fall after frost and mulch them well for the winter. They come back from the roots in the spring but one has to be patient as they are very late to emerge. I mark them as they often don't start to grow until June for me.

This spring I moved ten second year plants from a holding bed to an area with more sun. They are all growing well and hope to see bloom later this summer.

Rabbits eat my young hibiscus so I spray with Liquid Fence or protect them with fencing. The hibiscus does not die but it prevents any bloom.

• jacklord
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks folks. I put one in the ground while one remains potted. Perhaps I will split the difference.

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

Well I have had no luck sprouting them from seed, but the cuttings do just great if set in water for a month or so. They root well in water and save you a lot of time and trouble, plus making the pruning worth while for you and your friends. I have been using old milk jugs with the 12" branches with all the leaves removed. I just place them outside in a shaded area and they do just find, now I have to keep looking to find homes for them. I have tried just placing them directly in soil out of 10 I got one to sprout. The water system seems to work so much better and faster. I did have to cut the spout open as with more than one branch in the water they just may not be able to be removed because of all those wonderful roots. I did dip them in root tone just to be sure.

• jacklord
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wally:

My seeding attempt yielded 2 out of 8. Not a great success rate. But they are doing well.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional