Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenofa

can Lord Baltimore be moved??????

gardenofa
18 years ago

I have a large Lord Baltimore Hibiscus. For some reason my son and my husband always seem to knock in to it and either break part of it off or mow part of it off. Also it is leaning over badly because of the bad wind storms that we have been having lately. Most times I hve just stuck the severed stems into the ground and they have rooted. I would like to move it to a better location far far away from the mower assassins! But I seem to remember reading that once you plant a Hibiscus some where and it is established it is there to stay. Other wise I may have to resort to a rebar cage around it!!!!! They never seem to get anything else with the mower....maybe Lord Baltimore is suicidal. Thanks

Comments (2)

• anitamo
    18 years ago

Everything that I have read and heard about transplanting perennial Hibiscus indicates that it will be hard to do so. To quote Tracy DiSabato-Aust,(in her "Well-Tended Perennial Garden" book) " Division of woody crown is challenging and is best avoided." I say, You could try, but wait 'til it's not so hot, but realize you may lose it. Take some cuttings just in case. It sounds like its present location puts it in harm's way, so maybe transplanting will save it in the long run.

• wqcustom
    18 years ago

I transplanted my lord balt in the spring of last year with no special attention, and it did just fine. As Anitamo said, I wouldn't try it in the heat of summer though. I'd wait til fall or next spring and take cuttings just in case.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz