Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_s_phxaz

Why do these two look different?

michelle_s_phxaz
18 years ago

We purchased several hibiscus from our nursery last year when we landscaped the backyard. Both of these came from the same nursery, at the same time, and are planted within 8 feet of each other. The first one is about twice the height with hundred of tiny leaves and produces golfball size flowers while the second one is your typical plant with fewer but larger leaves and regular size flowers? Every other hibiscus in the yard is the regular size, just the first one is different!

We water and fertizile them the same, why such a difference in the growth?

Here are pics of the two. The first one is the "different" one.

{{gwi:889837}}

{{gwi:889838}}

Comments (5)

• rjj1
    18 years ago

They look different because they are different.

The top one looks like "Psyche". The other looks like a standard red sold at most chain outlets.

randy

• michelle_s_phxaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So what is the difference in the two? Will the Psyche get larger blooms or is this what it will always look like? Please tell me what to expect with this plant.

They were all labeled the same, all right next to each other when whe chose them, it is just strange that it is a totally different kind!

• brianmkerr
    18 years ago

Hi Michelle, First pic is Landersaii or Pride of Hankins and will always be a small red double. Second pic could be anything, but like Randy said is probably some standard fast reliable grower (probably could be named if you can show a photograph).

Pride of Hankins will grow much more vigourously and become 2 to 3 m + depending on conditions. Second pic looks like it will remain a much slower grower and be 1 to 2 m.

There are so many available in forms and colours that you may be interested to see. Hybrids are an interesting diversion. Try the link attached for interest sake.

Good luck, Brian Kerr.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Hybrids

• rjj1
    18 years ago

After looking a little closer at the blooms about to open, I think Brian is probably right on the id of POH.

randy

• michelle_s_phxaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you! Down here Hibiscus are very common, but I only knew of the ones in the second picture which everyone seems to have. I never saw any other varieties so I thought maybe we were doing something wrong with the Pride of Hankins!

I am going to look for some of the other hybrids, that FxHM Brian posted is gorgeous!

Sponsored