Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Spots on Leaves & Stems of Hardy Hibiscus

Posted by MimiGold 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 18:35

I live in South Carolina and my Hardy Hibiscus plants were doing great, but in the last few days I noticed these brownish-blackish spots on the leaves & the leaves were turning yellow. Today I noticed these spots were beginning to appear on the main stem as you can see in the photo. I am hoping someone here will be able to identify the problem for me.

There are also a few big leaves which have been half eaten and a few with decent sized holes in the center. Would that be from grasshoppers or caterpillars?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Spots on Leaves & Stems of Hardy Hibiscus

Today, I noticed that another Hardy Hibiscus across the yard from the one pictured above, is now beginning to get the brown spots on its leaves. I also noticed tiny white things bunched together on the top of one of its leaves. (refer to picture below) Anyone know what they are?

o

I also found this bug on one of my Hibiscus plants leaves. I don't know what it is, or if it is good or bad. Any idea?

o

Here is a picture of a leaf on one of my deteriorating Hardy Hibiscus plants. It is getting worse every day. I am getting desperate here. Help needed!

o

My suggestion is to take a few leaves in a sealed zip-lock bag to your extension agent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here