Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viable Hibiscus rosa-sinensis seeds

Posted by mooseblossoms 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 18:37

Hello Hibiscus lovers!
I have a question about seeds...
I recently purchased 37 tropical hibiscus seeds @ $4 apiece from a hybridizer. (Wow, did I really spend that much? yikes!) 9 of those seeds were hollow. That is almost 25% of them! $36!
I do appreciate the huge workload involved in hybridizing, but is that the average loss I should expect every time?
~Samantha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viable Hibiscus rosa-sinensis seeds

Samantha,
I would stick to creating your own. Hib R.S are hit and miss with propagation and variety. As I always say, like people, not all twins are identical. Perfect example are Voodoo Magic, We Remember, and Night Runner are all offspring of the same two parent plants. If you research the picts, you will see the diversity. Hope this helps.
Ed

o

Hi Ed :-)

Thanks for your response!

I understand how diverse Hib R.S.'s offspring can be. I think that's why I'm drawn to growing out various crosses instead of buying named plants. It's exciting to imagine what they might look like and I'm looking forward (many months forward!) to witnessing their first blooms.

I would love to hybridize my own. Maybe someday! But, currently, I have only two young plants: Purple Magic & Black Dragon. And I live in Maine with no greenhouse. Such a short season up here! I'd be very lucky to get a pod to maturity.

I was just wondering if any others that purchase seed find so many that are not viable. Is it the norm?

Here is my Black Dragon. I haven't had a bloom on the Purple Magic yet.

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis Black Dragon

o

Samantha,
Fantastic bloom! Red Dragon is on my wish list of Dupont plants. Along with a few others :) . Getting hard to convince the wife I need to get more when new ones arrive on a monthly basis. (two more came in today).
Ed

o

Beautiful bloom!! I have that one on my wish list as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here