Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharonstar_gw

ants on Rose of Sharon

sharonstar
18 years ago

My rose of sharon trees (flowers) are full of little ants. I have also noted them on a few other flowers, mostly the brugs. I have Ortho systemic bug killer, but it doesn't mention that it kills ants. Will "ant terror" work to put in various places or what would be the best thing to use. I read somewhere that where you have ants in the garden that there may be aphids. It could be, because something is really eating holes in the brugs. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. Sharon

Comments (3)

• jean001
    18 years ago

Look for some insect that produces honeydew. (Honeydew is that sticky stuff that gets all over stuff.) It's a good bet your plant has scale or aphids. The ants are there for the honeydew.

• hesperaloe
    16 years ago

I have lots of ants too. On the branches, leaves and the flowers. I didn't notice any other bugs, no aphids that I could see. Are the ants harmful? One tree looks bad but it could be because of a late freeze in April. The others look healthy, just crawling with ants.

• paulallen
    16 years ago

Suggestion, blast the aphids and ants off with your hose. Do it daily for one week, then every other day for a second week. Then just blast it with the hose when you water. Good luck.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner