Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yodiana

Very Small Leaves on Hibiscus (Pictures)

yodiana
12 years ago

I was given this hibiscus a few months ago. It was pathetic looking when I got it and after a short while, it looked like it was going to die. With a little attention, I was able to somewhat revive it (surprisingly)!

My question is, can anyone please tell me what type of hibiscus this is? And if the leaves are suppose to be this small? All the hibiscus I've seen at the nurseryies as well as the neighbors' have leaves that are nearly 7 times as large.

If the leaves are suppose to be larger, I'm wondering what I can do to help it along?

Oh, its in the same pot it was in when it was given to me. I always thought the pot was too small. Do you think this might be a part of the problem (if there is any)?

By the way, I've already read the discussion here (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azgard/msg0612161330878.html) but not sure if it really answers my question since I'm not sure if my hibiscus is suppose to have small leaves or not.

Thank you!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comment (1)

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

Yes, the pot is too small. Try one about twice that size. It's just a regular single red tropical hibiscus. They're temperamental. They'll drop leaves for no reason at all, just because they feel like it. It actually looks pretty healthy to me. Use a good, humusy potting soil like Miracle Gro, and fertilize it once a month with Miracle Gro and it will be fine. Oh, you might want to put about a half cup of epsom salts around it when you repot. Helps it make roots.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus