Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayoufever

turk's cap hibiscus

bayoufever
18 years ago

Has anyone planted this north of Lake Ponchartrain in Louisiana and had success with it?

Comments (7)

• Oliver_Shagnasty
    18 years ago

Do you have a picture of this "Turk's Cap" hibiscus??

Oliver

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

I have a friend in north Mississippi who grows it successfully. In fact he gave me a couple of pieces last autumn which I grew inside the greenhouse over the winter. They are now growing like weeds. One will stay in the ground over the winter of 2005-2006 and the other will go back into the greenhouse as insurance. I think you will be successful north of Lake P. even though it is cooler there than in NOLA. I first heard about them from Southern Living magazine a few years ago. They did an article about heirloom plants. One lady in Homewood (Birmingham suburb), AL was growing the Turk's Cap and also growing poppies. The Turk's Cap hibiscus was a hand-me-down and the poppies came from seeds a relative who picked them in a field in Europe after (I believe)World War One. That article revived my interest in heirloom plants.

• megaera
    18 years ago

Are y'all talking about Malvaceae Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii? If you are in zone 8 you should be ok to grow it as an annual or as a plant that will freeze back in the ground during the winter and maybe come back in the spring. It grows like a weed because in Texas it's a "native plant" (a beautiful, much classier name for a weed in here in TX) :) I have some that just sprouted up in my backyard one day. Hope this helps.

• njoynit
    18 years ago

Turks cap is a great plant.I have red ones.I get hummers on mine and bees and butterflys.They bloom more in richer soil(butterfly bed)they will be shorter in shade& bloom less,but fertilizer helps out& I have some at back of yard against chainlink fence that has youpon hollys growing against& they grow up chainlink into hollys and I pick the seeds on a ladder.I'd love to get some of the other colors.Have heard of a pink& a white.

you could mulch them for protection,but think your fine...can always compost the mulch come spring.....

• acajuncharm
    18 years ago

I have these in Gonzales, LA and they are gorgeous!

• Naturegirl46
    18 years ago

Would somebody please post a picture. I'm very curious about this plant. Thanks!

Happy Halloween to everybody ; - )

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

I have 2 and love 'em.
    Here'a picture of the flower.
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of Turk's Cap

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994