Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
section10_gw

hibiscus hardiness

section10
16 years ago

I just recieved a potted 4' hibiscus as a gift. Don't know a thing about them. I live in the northern tier of states and winters are vicious. Is this supposed to be kept indoors all the time or will it live outside? Thank you

Jim

Comments (4)

• jalfred
    16 years ago

You need first of all to ascertain which Hibiscus it is.
    If it is a tropical Hibiscus you will need to put it in the sunroom when it is below 40 degrees outside. If it is hardy, you can probably leave it out, although I would still have it inside if it gets really cold in winter where you are.

• gardengirlz2
    16 years ago

The hardy type will survive year round outdoors. It will have medium colored dull green leaves. The tropical variety- dark, rich green shiny leaves- will need to brought in for the winterdepending on which zone you live in. Hope this helps.

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

I wish I had read this post before I went and bought two tropical hibiscus thinking they were hardy hibiscus and planted them in the ground.

• User
    16 years ago

Proudgm,
    all is not lost, don't get upset.
    Just dig them up and pot them when the nights get under 40 degrees where you live, that's all.
    THey will enjoy the summers in the ground, in the sun.
    Mine are planted in the ground and doing too well, LOl, getting hughe!
    But the end of September, beginning of October, the party's over and they will come in their sunny winter room.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA