Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkelber_gw

Infestation

dkelber
10 years ago

My two poor hibiscus trees had a terrible shock when I brought them outside several weeks ago after overwintering them inside. They both lost almost all their leaves. The leaves are slowly growing back, but now, suddenly, they are severely infested. I think I have aphids, but it looks to me like i might have other bugs as well. Can anyone identify for me what is going on in the picture? I have a few other picture with different views of all the bugs if interested.

Thank you!

Comments (4)

• Will07
    10 years ago

Oh no! Poor hibiscus! Thankfully, as you thought, these are just aphids. I think but I'm not certain that the long black ones with wings are thrips. You can use an insecticidal soap to get rid of these pests. Make sure to spray the undersides of the leaves as well. Spray until the leaves are dripping and move the plant into the shade for a couple of days (any pesticides may burn the leaves when mixed with the sun's UV rays especially when they are new and tender). Also, if you have access to a garden hose, spray the leaves with a good stream of water to dislodge any other pests. Good luck!

• dkelber
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks very much

• jean001a
    10 years ago

The fellows w/ wings are also aphids. Hope they're gone by now.

• dkelber
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, I thought so. I ordered ladybugs and they seem to be enjoying chowing down on the aphids :-)

thanks!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?