Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Infestation

Posted by dkelber 5B (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 20:25

My two poor hibiscus trees had a terrible shock when I brought them outside several weeks ago after overwintering them inside. They both lost almost all their leaves. The leaves are slowly growing back, but now, suddenly, they are severely infested. I think I have aphids, but it looks to me like i might have other bugs as well. Can anyone identify for me what is going on in the picture? I have a few other picture with different views of all the bugs if interested.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Infestation

Oh no! Poor hibiscus! Thankfully, as you thought, these are just aphids. I think but I'm not certain that the long black ones with wings are thrips. You can use an insecticidal soap to get rid of these pests. Make sure to spray the undersides of the leaves as well. Spray until the leaves are dripping and move the plant into the shade for a couple of days (any pesticides may burn the leaves when mixed with the sun's UV rays especially when they are new and tender). Also, if you have access to a garden hose, spray the leaves with a good stream of water to dislodge any other pests. Good luck!

o

thanks very much

o

The fellows w/ wings are also aphids. Hope they're gone by now.

o

thanks, I thought so. I ordered ladybugs and they seem to be enjoying chowing down on the aphids :-)

thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here