Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklahomacitygardener

Hibiscus buds are falling off before they bloom!

I am fairly new to not only this website but also to handling or caring for Hibiscus plants. I just recently brought this 3 gallon plant that has beautiful peach colored blooms. The foliage is very green and healthy and I keep it well watered and it seems likes it's doing great. However it's not blooming. The buds will grow to the point where they are almost ready to bloom and then they fall off without even opening. I'm not sure if there is a problem with thrips or aphids as I don't see any. It's fertilized efficiently and it gets plenty of sun. I don't know what to do with it anymore. It's really frustrating me. Does anyone know what might be the problem? If it is insects do you know of any good home remedies that can get rid of the pests? Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

They do drop their buds if it does get too hot.

• palmfan
    14 years ago

Stop the fertilizer and see if that helps. Too much fertilizer seems to inhibit bloom on my hibiscus as well. If it resumes blooming, just give an occasional shot of half strength food. Too much and you'll get lush growth, but few flowers.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Too much fertilizer is bad. Well its not really bad, but as mentioned above it maked it go into active growth mode and will actually abort flowers. When you fertilize it, which should be about once a month, make sure that its high in phosphorus which is the middle number out of the three bottom numbers you see on the bottle. A high first number will increase growth.

Also the heat can do it sometimes too especially if its a dry or especially sunny heat which is why heat isnt as much of a problem on the coast. I would just keep it well watered. They need water just about every day during the summer, but can go a day or so without, but dry up fast even in large pots.

Good luck

Sponsored