Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thesunroomgardener

Anyone heard of japanese lantern hibiscus?

TheSunRoomGardener
11 years ago

If you haven't should def. go type it into google images right now and be amazed. Anyway, I ended up buying one online recently but it doesn't have any blooms yet. It's still pretty young, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how I could make it bloom faster? If I should be fertilizing it, what's the best fertilizer to use? I can't wait to have those gorgeous flowers all to myself!

Comments (5)

• cashclan
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness they are WONDERFUL!!! Too bad they don't grow in my zone, wonder how well they over winter in the house? AS IF I had any more room to overwinter plants, HAHA
    thank you for sharing with us
    Sharon Cash
    Zone 7

• mickeyperreaud
    11 years ago

I have several and they winter over in the house fine. Just try and keep the cats away from them.
    Mickey

• eahamel
    11 years ago

That's schizopetalus. Nice species, I've had it before, but have never heard it called Japanese lantern before.

• User
    11 years ago

Thanks for asking about that hibiscus.
    I knew mine was different, never saw one like this before, I got it for Mother's Day because I always wanted an orange hibiscus, it looks like a poodle flower.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

We bought one a few years back, we just called the double blooms. They start double in the morning hours and extend out to be almost 2 blooms during the hot sunny hours and draw back into a double during the evening hours. Ours was a peach and coral color. I have seen some with a single color bloom but love the multi-colors the best. They use to sell them here as a small plant but have gotten greedy and now they only want to sell the $35+ size which for my budget is too high as I have no problems getting them to grow to the $35+ size in a hurry.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!