Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose of Sharon Spacing?

Posted by disneynut1977 5A Syracuse NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 08 at 21:42

I have 9 3yr old seedlings I started from seed myself, seed was from a robin egg blue color. I also have 9 seedlings maybe 2 yrs from somebody elses yard, unsure of color. I wanted to put them along my fence in back to form a privacy hedge over time. They will be getting about 6-8 hours direct sun. All of them are only single sticks with leaves. I was thinking grouping them into 3 plants forming a triangle, each plant a foot apart and each group 5 feet apart? Does this make sense?

Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose of Sharon Spacing?

I would think if I was planting a simple hedge, based on mature size, I would space each plant about 5 feet apart. (My sense of scale is extremely impaired when I'm working with itty bitty plants.) I always plant them too close.

However, if you are able to imagine the full size and you feel comfortable with it, then go ahead. They are pretty easy plants and do OK even if they are a bit overcrowded. They also can tolerate considerable pruning. So there is no set rule about spacing. The spacing of 5 feet is simply a guide for mature spread etc.

o
RE: Rose of Sharon Spacing?

I have 3 Rose of sharon placed in a triangle, each aout 4 feet from the next. They are probably 15 years old, and their branches all run into each other. If you don't mind them touching, 4 feet is enough, but I would think that 1 foot apart is much too close

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here