Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radwmack

New to Tropical Hib

radwmack
18 years ago

I received (as a gift)a pot with 4 small salmon-colored Hibiscus. I've divided them (1 to a pot), but I'm not really sure how to care for them. I've gardened all my life and have many different kinds of plants, but never have grown these before. I know that they'll have to come indoors over winter, if I don't kill them in the meantime! Can someone give me some tips?

TIA

Comments (2)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

If you can put them outside for summer, that will be very beneficial for them. Bring inside when the temps start dropping down consistently into the 50s at night. Once inside, you may want to put them in as bright a spot as you can and reduce watering. If you can give them some humidity during winter, that will help reduce or minimize the possibility of them getting spider mites. Some people overwinter them in a coolish (above freezing) spot, but be aware that if you do this along with putting in a dark spot, they may drop all their leaves and will be very slow to releaf under those conditions.

If you suddenly move these from outside in or otherwise drastically change the amount of light, temperature, or water, the leaves will usually start to yellow and drop. Gradual changes minimize this as this behavior is normal and they will regrow new leaves adapted to the new conditions.

I usually fertilize mine with a balanced fertilizer and may give them a shot of Ironite or other iron product every once in a while. Since they bloom on new growth, you have to keep that in mind when pruning. The new growth needs to mature before bloom buds form. Usually in the northern areas given sufficient light and warmth indoors, they tend to start up a growth cycle around February and when put outside, will often start blooming by July and will bloom until you bring them in during the fall... Sometimes they'll keep on blooming into winter depending on the indoor conditions. You can put back outside in spring when the night temps are consistently in the 50s or higher.

They are hightly adaptable plants but if you know about their quirks, then you'll be better prepared for their occassional antics and you'll be rewarded with lots of nice blooms! Good luck!

• radwmack
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the advice, Jenny! I keep a sunporch humidified in the winter for other plants I have to take in, so I'll cross my fingers! Given enough room to grow roots, how big shall I expect the topgrowth to get?
    :)Wendy

Sponsored