o
diy hibiscus hybridizing?

Posted by DAZED77 Bahamas (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 23:41

Can hibiscus be hybridized??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: diy hibiscus hybridizing?

Hi Dazed77, Most certainly. Many are compatible with others in the same species, some compatible with other closely related species.

Today's Rosa Sinesis is a tropical type hibiscus with a mix of 'blood' and can therefore be considered to be a hybrid. Most of today's tropical hibiscus have such a mix of genes, you can rarely predict what the resultant bloom/bush will be like. At times the seedling will clearly exhibit parental characteristics and with extensive studying of others' results, self-experience and trials, some predictability becomes possible.

Many sites are available to read up on and learn about this amazing deviation in gardening. Many experienced hybridizers are around to talk with as well. They can provide years of valuable knowledge to help you if you want.
Good luck.
Regards, Brian Kerr.

o

Thanks for the info Briankerr! I have already started reading up on hybridizing them. It seeems pretty simple. But what I couldn't find anywhere is which colors to cross pollinate? Do I randomly cross pollinate different colors?

o

Hi Dazed77, You can cross just about any Rosa Sinesis type hibiscus with any other regardless of colour, size or form. However, some will not cross, ie sterile, non-viable pollen or a lot of doubles won't or will only under specific circumstances. Hybridizing mechanics is simple, but to avoid lots of frustration about when and why it won't happen and when the prime time is, keep reading. I would love to keep on writing, but no time at the moment. I can provide people and sites with this info if you need.

Good luck.
Regards, Brian Kerr.

o

Thanks again Brian Kerr. I will do some more reading. The sites I found do not really explain the actual process but the results of hybridization. I do know from the little experience I have with daylilies that pollen transfer should be done late morning or early afternoon and of course not on a windy day... I would really appreciate your suggestions for websites! Right now I am waiting for atleast 2 of 4 of my tropical hibiscus ( I do not have any double flowered varieties) to produce flowers at the same time! Thanks, I appreciate your time.

o

Hi DAZED77, Try the site below. You will see vast amounts of information, but think th Links site, then Hybridizing will be the one you may want to read in detail.
Enjoy.
Regards, Brian Kerr.
Here's a few of my hybrids at site below. You will have to type address into Address bar for this one, as URL has another for you.
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/canthey/bkerr/bk.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus site for lots of information

o

I have a blog about it that might help you out!

http://kapugardens.blogspot.com/p/hybridizing-hibiscus.html

Hope it helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here