Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Mature Rose of Sharons

Posted by farmboy1 5 Chicago area (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 23:59

I've usually hang out on the trees or shrubs forums, but went looking for something specific, and found the right place.

So the ad read Free, Rose of Sharons, must dig. I checked, and there were 5 mature ROS shrubs that needed to be dug out this weekend, or the contractors will be cutting them down on Monday.

Lucky me, digging out, transporting and replanting 5 large shrubs in one weekend.

The 5 are all 5-6 feet tall, look very green and healthy. Located in front of a porch, in an area about 2.3 feet between the porch and walkway. Not a great place for catching water. Decent soil up top, but the bottoms of the rootballs were in clay/rock from the initial construction. Now having dug them out, I was surprised that the leaves were drooping within an hour of their being dug. Is this normal?

I realize this isn't the ideal time to transplant anything, but I'm wondering what the chances of the shrubs doing well with consistent watering, etc. are. Any Hibiscus or ROS specific comments are very welcome.

Thanks!

vince

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Mature Rose of Sharons

expect a lot of transplant shock. water often but don't waterlog and drown it
consider cutting back half of the growth
the more of a root ball you can get, the better.
dont expect blooms, but it can be done

o

If you cut back you can dip the cuttings into a root hormone and pot them up to get more starts as they are fairly easy to start.

o

Thanks for the info. I also posted in the shrubs forum, and got lots of similar useful advice. The 'sharons are doing well despite our not getting any rain in the past 14 days. I've been watering them every other day and have them wrapped with burlap to minimize any sunburn.

vince

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here