Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Hibiscus or Lavatera?

vera_eastern_wa
17 years ago

I don't know which and have never grown either one before. I got these in trade labled as Rose Mallow.

{{gwi:890742}}

Also this Hibiscus which I still don't know what type...They are obviously annuals though:

{{gwi:890743}}

Thanks,

Vera

Comments (6)

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BTW...the leaves in the first pic have a rather rough velvet like feel to the touch

Vera

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

first pic looks like a hollyhock

• huachuma
    17 years ago

First pic looks like a violet to me...

Mike

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No it's not a hollyhock...thanks. I have plenty of those around! Hollyhock are not near as felt-like as these and are lobed. As of today the leaves on this plant are much longer and extremely cordate (heart shaped), but narrower than wide. Growth is very slow.

Thanks

Vera

• Freckles_OH
    17 years ago

Vera - The first one looks like laverta to me.
    The second one looks just like my Jamaican Cocktail Roselle (hibiscus sabdariffa) I have growing.
    I have yet to see them bloom this year, but have buds so I'm hoping to see something out of it before frost. The zone hardiness for it is 8-10, so for me it will be an annual.

• lavateraguy
    17 years ago

Among Lavateras Rose Mallow refers to Lavatera trimestris (the common annual Lavatera), but the term may be applied, dubiously, to other Lavateras.

But the first plant doesn't immediately stand out as as this. The leaves tend to be angular, and are also relatively smooth to the touch.

Hollyhocks don't consistently have lobed leaves, especially at the size of the plant in your photograph.

Rose mallow gets applied to a fair number of Hibiscuses, particular Muenchhusias (hardy perennial hibiscus), but the foliage doesn't look like the ones I've seen.

The second photo reminds me of Hibiscus trionum.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts