Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_1_2006

hibiscus is huge!

annie_1_2006
17 years ago

The hibiscus I have puts out white blooms that look like dinner plates! It grows bigger every year and I have a hard time getting it to stand tall. I now have it tied with string to the rails of my deck to hold it up. Does anybody have a solution for me other than tying it with string?

Comments (3)

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Most nursery, hardware and big box stores sell a device for this. It is made of wire, round and has a grid of squares across the round part. It has 3 wire legs. When the plants are still short/small, put the device over the plant. The wire legs stick deeply into the ground. As the plant grows, the stems come up through the wire squares. You pull the legs out of the ground just a little bit and let the plant grow taller. This happens again and again until you have only enough wire legs in the ground to support the plant. These are great for perennial hibiscus. Sort of like a wire 'frog' for a vase.

• gaura
    17 years ago

My suggestion for your towering hibiscus is to insert three
    bamboo poles, in a half circle, 5 or 6 bamboo poles if the plant is very wide. As you form the half circle, make sure the bamboo poles are deep in the ground to support the plant weight. Apply twist tie garden wire to the bamboo poles at three tier cascading levels.Then,apply cotton laundry line rope onto the twist tie. Use extra long lengths of twist garden tie to secure the cotton rope into one length-piece.Gradually, tighten the rope level, allowing the hibiscus plant to drape over the cotton rope. Whenever I support a plant, I gradually raise or tighten the support patten over a week in order to visualize and modify the support pattern. Always, communicate the assigned endeavor to the plant.

regards,
    guara

p.s. I have yellow and white hibiscus plants. Pureed green
    peppers mixed with pureed green hibiscus leaves is a natural dye for cotton rope. Be creative when supporting your plants.I hope this helps.

• annie_1_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will try your method or methods in the spring.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio