Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ont_can

Hibiscus Acetosella (Red Shield?)

ont-can
15 years ago

I have heard conflicting info on if there is really different var. of Hibiscus Acetosella, or if there is just 1 var. and has been given many names.

I bought a Hibiscus Acetosella at a garden center that called it a Red Shield var., but when I looked for pictures on the web the flower they show on the web looks very different than the one I got.

In fact the flower I got was almost on par with the other Tropical Hibiscus I have tried, but flowers so late in the year it is better known just for it's leaves.

I am going to try to attach a link to a picture I took.

( * note 1 * the picture I took of the flower was taken in mid to late winter in doors here in Canada )

I would like to know if the flower I had was of Red Shield or of a different named var.

( * note 2 * the leaves that grew indoors looked very different than the ones the grew when it was outside, the winter leaves had a lot less lobes and were more green, but it is a Hibiscus Acetosella for sure, and changed back to the "Jap. Maple" looking leaves in the summer )

Most sites I looked at speak of Red Shield as having a small, plain and pinkish colored flower, but mine was large and dark purple and velvety.

Since I have only had limited luck at getting them to survive the winter, and the Garden center that I bought the plants at the previous few years didn't have them this year, I would love to hear if someone knows if there is a good source in Canada (Ontario if possible) for the seeds.

(The flowers that I got that winter didn't produce seeds as they were indoors and I didn't hand pollinate as only 1 flower was open at a time)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus Acetosella (Red Shield?)

Comment (1)

• palmfan
    15 years ago

You seem to have it correct! I think there must be a green variety of this tropical hibiscus, but I have NOT seen it!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living