Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greengrower2007

japaneese beetles attacking hibiscus, what to use?

greengrower2007
16 years ago

hey garden webers! i have only visited the forum a time or two and it was really helpful this time i have a small plauge on my hands i have 6 potted hibiscus and the japaneese beetles are destroying the beauty and becoming a problem for people not only my plants. I have traps set up that are catching thousands and sevin dust on everything(also not attractive)is there anything else short of H- BOMB or napalm i can use to get some relief? any advice will help, thanks greengrower2007

Comments (4)

• marcindy
    16 years ago

Greengrower, I would get rid of the traps immediately. They just act as a beacon to every jb in your area. You'll never be able to catch enough to make a dent, plus, once they are in your backyard they are more likely to lay eggs in your soil, meaning more will emerge next year. Since you plants are potted your best chance is to dust them with Sevin, pick them by hand, and just plainly wait for their couple weeks to pass. I feel with you, as jb have made me rip out my rose garden and plant it with perennials they don't like. I also put down milky spores in my lawn area to fight the grubs before they emerge. I don't want to praise it too early, but it seems that after three years I finally seem to see less beetles. Mind you, they are still a plague, but somehow don't seem to reach the level where you want to use H-bombs. Also, I found out that by pruning back my Hibiscus syriacus bushes, their flowering seemed to be delayed enough to maybe make it passed the beetles. Maybe.
    Good luck!

• greengrower2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the tips marcindy! although i will feel naked without my traps, most are in agreement that they are the cause and not the cure! i started out with one hibiscus and now have seven including a bright yellow that i am told is the culprate they love yellow! so having so many may be the problem too as when i had one hib, i never saw beetle one! continuing the struggle, greengrower 2007.

• greengrower2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hey marcindy! i have taken your advice and took down the traps and i am shocked to find that you were right!!! i now have a problem with seven or so as opposed to seven hundred!!! that is how bad i had it! you are a wise gardener! i'm a little ashamed that i brought this plauge on myself but it's all about trial and error! so for all you gardenwebers out there i am one more gardener that agrees, no more traps! thanks

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hi greengrower! I had the same problem as you. I did not have any traps to attract them but they were swarming on my hibiscus as well. Made lace out of the leaves. I sprayed them down with dish soap and water and they were gone the next day! Turns out JB's don't like having their mouths washed out with soap any more than kids do! LOL!
    Tracy

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions