Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sb91710

Hibiscus cutting

sb91710
14 years ago

I wasnt sure if it would work since hibiscus don't like to "sit" in water, but i thought I would try taking a cutting and sticking it in water to get roots.

Well after 2 almost 3 weeks i have roots breaking out. The premise of it is hydroponics deep water system. Changing the water everyday and having a rooting hormone mixed in the fresh water daily did the trick.

Im also doing it with some rose cuttings so we will see with them too. I like to experiment with plants. It took me a year to get a pineapple plant growing from a store bought pineapple but got it mastered now. Just call me Dr. Frankenflower.

Comment (1)

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Congratulations. Hibiscus are one of my favorate plants to root because they look great in a vase when rooting because they still flower.

I also tried pinapples. I take the lower set of leaves off exposing the middle of the plant. Then I let the leaf scars heal for 2 days and then stick them in water. In two weeks (sometimes 3 or 4) they are ready for planting. I even tried one from a really small pineapple expecting it not to work, but in 2 months I saw some roots comming in.

Good luck with your cuttings.

Sponsored