Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebell_gw

Hardy hibiscus/ Rose of Sharon

bluebell
15 years ago

Hi all

I have for a long time wanted a ROS to survive in my garden. I live in a pretty cold area in Norway, we have winter from abt november to march, spring begins in late march or april. We may have nights with frost up untill the end of may.

I have tried two times, the ROS`s seem to have green stems in spring, but dies later on. Now, I have heard that people in cold areas both in Canada and northern states in the US have these in their gardens. What is the secret?

Is there a chance to grow rose of sharon here or is it impossible do you think... They are so lovely... And now a gardencenter nearby have them for sale so I also can get a fullgrown one. I have to mention that the last one I tried were planted very late in the autumn, just about right before the winter. Can it be better to plant one now or is this also a bit too late?

Comments (4)

• Vicki
    15 years ago

I planted mine in the spring. It is blooming first year. I've planted things this time of year but they need to be watered well. Rose of Sharon also likes a good amount of sun. If you can keep it watered well until autumn it may do fine. It seems odd you would get green stems and then they die later. Maybe there wasn't enough sun or water.

• watergal
    15 years ago

ROS likes well-drained soil. What is your soil like?

• bluebell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks both for your help:-)

Sunnytop; I didn`t water very much after planting it last autumn, I thought I couldn`t water that late. Then I will try that the next time.

Watergal; the soil seemed fine when I planted but I mixed in some soil I bought. Now this year I have seen the soil maybe isn`t well draining.

I planted it near a south/westfacing part of my foundation, so it received a lot of sun at least.

I will definitely try to plant a rose of sharon again, at least since it seems to be a possibility that it can survive. Then I will try to water it well before winter and make a bed with well draining soil.

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

Ha, I've tried to kill them and I can't. I ripped one out from a heavily shaded & neglected area (heavy clay). I had every intention of tossing it out, and it was in the barrel, but after a few days, I decided to plant it elsewhere. It came back with a vengence. I have tried to kill them and I can't. My neighbors plant spews out hundreds, if not thousands of seed each year (he doesn't know the meaning of the word 'prune' or 'deadhead'). Needless to say, I'm forever removing sproutlings and babies from my yard.

Sponsored