Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuanh_gw

hibiscus seed question..

tuanh
18 years ago

what will i get when i polenated a red hibiscus on to a white? does it gona be pink? any answer may help.

Comments (4)

• bruggirl
    18 years ago

You don't know what you'll get. That's the fun of hybridizing. You may be red/white striped, you may get pink, it's impossible to tell without knowing the parents of each plant.

• brianmkerr
    18 years ago

Hello Tuanh, Since today's hibiscus, meaning tropical Rosa Sinesis type, has been hybridized for a very long time, the gene pool of combinations that determine colour, form etc, can result in most anything.

Some predictability exists, eg mini with mini usually gives mini, some crosses do have dominate traits, but in general without wanting to sound negative, anything is possible and nothing is really predicatble .... but as 'bruggirl' says, thats the fun of hybridizing! Imagine if our world was full of predictable offspring, that all looked and acted the same .....? Variety is the spice of life and the excitement the unknown!

To answer your question another way, if you are crossing hibiscus species Arnotiannus with Schizopetalus, then yes the offspring WILL be a pink, but from then on the results get harder to predict.

With years of hands on hybridizing, observations, record keeping and relating to other hybridizers some predictability is obvious, but never 100% guaranteed.

If you could tell us the names your 2 hibiscus you intend to cross, we might be able to show you some results of the cross? It may have been done already...., but that doesn't mean your result would be the same ...., just show you the fun result of your idea!

Good luck.

Regards, Brian Kerr.

• tuanh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Brian,
    i crossed the red Hibiscus coccineus to a white. it yield 2 pods - i sow the seeds and they are sprouding up now, i just little too impatient to see the result. i thanks you guys very much for the repond, tuanh

• tuanh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well, i have som bloom of the hybrid, so far two plant bloom large white with red center, hopeffully i get some bloom to open!

Sponsored