Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obxsalvo

trimed last fall and no buds

obxsalvo
17 years ago

I had some potted tree type (red) that had gotten big and branchy, so I trimed them back in early fall/ late summer and they leafed out nicely and grew well over winter inside. They still look nice and green and new leafs but no buds just keep making new limbs. Any ideas? :[

Paul

Comments (7)

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

Sometimes hibiscus can take a long time to start blooming, I know one of my pinks didn't start until a fwe weeks ago.
    Are they getting enough direct sunlight? If so, I'd up the amount of fertilizer you're giving them. One with a high middle number, which promoteds bloom production.
    Barb

• obxsalvo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay thanks I'll try that. I have read where a little vinegar and water is good for them and helps stop yellow leaves. My yellow one is getting yellow leaves in middle of branches ( tree type) was wondering if Miracid plant food is a good choice for these plants. Whats your thoughts on that?
    Thanks
    Paul

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

I haven't heard of using vinegar.
    Is it just a few leaves? Hibiscus leaves only live about 8 months, so unless more turn yellow, fall off without new ones growing in, I wouldn't worry about it.
    If the leaves are turning yellow, but the veins stay yellow, it could be an iron deficiency; you can buy iron (I use ironite) and it would take care of that problem.
    Barb

• watergal
    17 years ago

obx, do you live in Salvo, NC? We just vacationed near there last week. Or are you in Maryland - if you are zone 8b in Maryland, I want to move where you are - I could grow so much more!

My tropical hibs that I overwinter inside usually don't do any serious blooming until late July/early August. I think it takes them several months of good outdoor sun to make the buds. But then they bloom like mad through about Christmas, even though I bring them indoors in late October.

DO NOT use the bloom booster fertilizer on your hibiscus. You actually want to use a LOW middle number fert for them, or a balanced fertilizer like MiracleGro. I wouldn't suggest Miracid. Here's an explanation about the fertilizer if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: tropical hibiscus fertilizer

• obxsalvo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Watergal,

I have a Ocean front house that I built in 1997 on Colony Dr. in Salvo. I also have one in Southern Md. I spend my time between both as needed. ( work in Md. and get 4 to 5 days off in a row then head south) I have the tree type Hibissus @ both places around the pools. OBX is hard on them due to salty wind not to metion Hurricanes. Thanks for the Fertilizer site. I also have a yellow tree type that hates me. Leaves are yellowing and droping off more than norm. ( think I'll just shoot it and get it over with)

obxsalvo

• watergal
    17 years ago

How wonderful to have an oceanfront house down there! We always rent oceanfront when we go - usually in Frisco, occasionally in Hatteras. I bet the salt spray is really hard on the hibs.

Yellow leaves can just be a way to complaint about changing conditions - more heat than usual, more or less rain than usual, etc. Hibiscus really prefer every day to be just like every other day. I recommend pulling off all the yellow leaves and if the plant is basically healthy, they will fill in very quickly.

• obxsalvo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

they do really well down there. friends across St. water them and my banana trees.

all other Hibs. are doing fine. still waiting for the trimed ones to bud. Just never have had to good of luck with the yellow ones. Going to try slacking off on water and see what happens then.

Pj

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services