Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

Gall Midge

irun5k
12 years ago

Hi all,

For the last two years my hibiscus (Painted Lady) has experienced 100% bud drop in mid summer. Last year I thought it was the climate but this year I started to have some doubts. Sure enough, I put several yellowing buds into a ziplock and it appears I have gall midge (small yellow larvae are present.)

Advice I've found so far calls for a ground-based offensive (e.g. Triazicide) as well as an arial defense of spraying the plant. Is Sevin effective for spraying? Their label says it is, but I've yet to see it (or its active ingredients) recommended in the context of a hibiscus. I already have Sevin concentrate and would prefer to use it if it will be effective, but will buy something else if not.

Many thanks

Comments (3)

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update: I put down Bayer granules w/imidacloprid and sprayed with Sevin. After a few days I was still seeing larvae in aborted buds. I think the problem is that the larvae are nice and secure in the bud, and Sevin is non-systemic.

So, Today I sprayed with Bayer 3-in-1. I hope that will help. I've been removing all the lose buds daily and disposing of them in a ziplock.

Hopefully I will get this issue quared away soon.

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

irun5; Looks like you are beginning to have a bit of improvement with your bud dropping Hibiscus. I have not experienced this problem so am unable to offer any solutions but do hope that you get it under control and can once again enjoy the flowering of your plants.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Sevin won't touch gall midge -- the stuff is for chewing pests.

Here's some info about the midge
    http://www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com/care/gallmidge.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: gall midge & management

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?