Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gall Midge

Posted by irun5k St Pete, FL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 9:40

Hi all,

For the last two years my hibiscus (Painted Lady) has experienced 100% bud drop in mid summer. Last year I thought it was the climate but this year I started to have some doubts. Sure enough, I put several yellowing buds into a ziplock and it appears I have gall midge (small yellow larvae are present.)

Advice I've found so far calls for a ground-based offensive (e.g. Triazicide) as well as an arial defense of spraying the plant. Is Sevin effective for spraying? Their label says it is, but I've yet to see it (or its active ingredients) recommended in the context of a hibiscus. I already have Sevin concentrate and would prefer to use it if it will be effective, but will buy something else if not.

Many thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gall Midge

Update: I put down Bayer granules w/imidacloprid and sprayed with Sevin. After a few days I was still seeing larvae in aborted buds. I think the problem is that the larvae are nice and secure in the bud, and Sevin is non-systemic.

So, Today I sprayed with Bayer 3-in-1. I hope that will help. I've been removing all the lose buds daily and disposing of them in a ziplock.

Hopefully I will get this issue quared away soon.

o

irun5; Looks like you are beginning to have a bit of improvement with your bud dropping Hibiscus. I have not experienced this problem so am unable to offer any solutions but do hope that you get it under control and can once again enjoy the flowering of your plants.

o

Sevin won't touch gall midge -- the stuff is for chewing pests.

Here's some info about the midge
http://www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com/care/gallmidge.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: gall midge & management

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here