Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onrose

Ontario hibiscus rescue

onrose
15 years ago

I'm from Ontario and joined this forum so that I could figure out what to do with my 5 hibiscus plants that were rescued from last winter. I transplanted them to pots with special potting medium from outdoors last fall. They thrived, and bloomed constantly. Until the white flies manifested indoors. I sprayed Safers insecticide (End All) which definitely did not end them or the problem, even with repetitive sprayings on a regular basis, but held the infestation in check.

I moved the hibiscus with their respective pots outside, and buried them in my flower garden, in a row, as I had read that the hibiscus does not want to be transplanted (and perhaps likes being a bit root bound?)

They are in full sun, have plenty of water, but are losing their leaves after they turn yellow. I sprayed occasionally for the white flies, and think one might have a spider mite. I am now releasing lady bugs at night.

I have gone to nurseries with the yellow leaves with brown edges/spots and they don't know what to advise. I fertilize as I did in the winter.

They are becoming sticks in the earth, and I hope to rescue them. Any ideas? Anone know how to attach a picture? Thank you for taking time to consider this.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor