Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suel41452

Need advice for Tree-form ROS not leafing out

suel41452
14 years ago

Hi, all!

I have 4 ROS in large pots I have been training to tree-form for the past 2 years. They are 3-4 feet high now. This spring I removed all the lower growth & cut the top stem off to encourage top growth. Only 1 plant leafed out at the top and is blooming now. The other 3 have refused to!! One of those is putting forth new growth at the middle, but the other 2 aren't doing anything yet. Would it be a good idea to cut off the top few inches to stimulate growth? Anything else to try (besides wait & see?) Thanx for any help!!

Comments (5)

• jeannejeanie
    14 years ago

i have the same problem ... i scratched the trunk of 3 ROS trees and found that they are dead. they must have drowned during our spring... it was so wet this year...the one putting out growth in the middle will leaf out .. the other 2 check to see if they are dead ... good luck jeannie

• suel41452
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I think 2 are definitely dead, but I cut them down to somewhat green wood in hopes that might spur them to leaf out. The one with the green buds will leaf out, but time will tell if it will survive. Thanx for the sympathy!!

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

One Question, why are you growing them in pots. When I lived in Michigan they grew quite large in the ground. Here they will grown to into a bush or can be pruned back to one trunk to become somewhat of a small "tree" They will reseed themselves if the seeds fall on open ground.

• suel41452
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My ROS are 'Blushing Bride' cultivars which are sterile; therefore, no seedlings.
    I bought them as tiny plants & was growing them in pots for a few seasons because I wasn't sure where I wanted them. Also I had one on each side of the gate to the back yard & they could be moved when my husband needed to drive cars back there (where he likes to work on them in the shade).
    The ROS were doing spectacularly well until I decided to remove ALL the new foliage and then topped them a few inches so they would sprout out the top. I guess that was overzealous of me. It worked with one but the others got ticked off!!
    I had done this the previous year with absolutely no problems. Next time I'll left the plant grow longer before removing so much of it. At any rate, they're cheap - I only paid $5 for each of these at HD.

• palmfan
    14 years ago

Removing foliage other than what is lost in pruning, seems like a bad idea to me because plants use their leaves to make food. To strip a plant of its leaves AND cut it back adds additional stress to the plant. I would leaves all healthy leaves below where I pruned to help the plant make new growth. Since Rose of Sharon hibiscus blooms on new wood, late winter or early spring is probably the safest time for major pruning. Hope this helps!