Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
texas star or marajuana?how do I tell?

Posted by telecaster 5 (telecaster_76@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 12:18

I got these seeds from seed exchange and I don't remember them being labeled..now I have a plant about 6 inches high ...get it...anyway it really resembles weed..but could be tx star...how do I tell the difference? I am really concerned because I live in a very ..shall we say rural town with not so sharp law enforcement..can I call them and can they come and inspect the plant so I don't get busted? or at least determine what it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: texas star or marajuana?how do I tell?

How many fingers does each leaf have? Marijuana has 7 Fingers per leaf and I believe Texas star has 5 fingers per leaf.. If anything can you email me a photo and I could probably tell for sure.. Alot of plants are similar but weed has a distinct look and aroma off the plant once it gets so tall...
Donna

o

There are other varieties beside Texas star which look even more like weed than Texas star. Give it time and let it grow. Do you have the mailing envelope. If the Federalis knock on your door, play dumb and show them the envelope and any other info you have from the trade. Mark it as hibiscus cannabis and find a google to save in your Favorites to show the cops.

o

If it looks like the leaves in this photo, it's acarlet hibiscus, AKA Texas Star.
Marijuana looks different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarlet Hibiscus

o

Or does your plant look like this one? : http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://aoeu.standardout.com/pics/Alphie_1068010835_783.jpg&imgrefurl=http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/30150/&h=754&w=640&sz=92&hl=en&start=42&tbnid=TgpEQA3tUglWjM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3DHibiscus%2Bcannabinus%26start%3D36%26ndsp%3D18%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DHPIA,HPIA:2006-22,HPIA:en%26sa%3DN

go to that website.

o

I pulled these up last night as they had taken over my flower garden. Given by my next door neighbor who told me they were delphiniums!...by last night I was pretty sure it was pot but now I am thinking it is star hibiscus

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 7:29

Looks like bidens to me, if it's a hibiscus, I'll eat it.

o

Lachancesare, that is definitely not pot. Pot has five or seven leaflets radiating out from one point.

o

How do you tell? Smoke it.

Sorry, the question just begged me for that answer.

o

Bidens?...I'll have to google that!..

o

Go by smell.

o

No pot smell to it.....I think it is Texas Star hibiscus.

o

It is certainly NOT Hibiscus coccineus,, the Red Texas Star hibiscus. I'm virtually positive it's not a hibiscus at all. NEVER smoke, or otherwise ingest any unknown plant. It could be toxic, even deadly!

o

Does anyone have and suggestions as to how I can find out what this mystery plant is? (my neighbor still has hers growing and when it flowers I'll take a photo and share.

o

I think its Hibiscus cannabinus... Not pot thats for sure....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here