Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karate626

2 Hibiscus ID's Pictures included

karate626
12 years ago

I was given an offset of a hibiscus called that my friend called a moon plant. She says it blooms at night. I'm skeptical that is right. I planted 3 offsets last July (worst time of year to plant). Only one made it through the Summer and Winter. Now it has tripled in size and has buds!

This was growing wild in a vacant lot near my Beach house (about 2 miles off coast) in Delaware. After getting permission I just transplanted it a week ago. I'm not sure it is a hibiscus but I saw old seed pods and canes plus the leafs are a similar shape but smaller.

Thanks!

T.J.

Comments (2)

• princealbert
    12 years ago

TJ
    The first looks like a tropical hibiscus to me. for your climate I think you were lucky that it came back. I have to move mine to a sheltered area or they freeze back and die. I lost about 6-10 plants last winter.
    The second plant in the sandy dirt looks similar to a poiensetta that has gone ferral. we have one here in texas that looks similar that is native to texas.
    pa

• 7tcu
    12 years ago

Had these years ago the moon flower is a morning glory type flower that opens in the evening.Enjoy

Sponsored