Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_gioelischultz

Is this a Hibiscus?

Nancy Schultz
17 years ago

Hi, I really new to gardening. I just moved into a new house that has a lot of flowers in the yard and I'm trying to idenitfy everything.

I'm wondering if this is a Hibiscus? It looks like some of the photos I've seen online, but its REALLY big so I wasn't sure if it is or not.

Thanks!!

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (2)

• watergal
    17 years ago

Yes, it is a hardy hibiscus. They get very large. They are also very late to come up in the spring - maybe as late as early June, so don't think it died over the winter!

It's pretty. Looks a lot like one I have - can't remember the name - maybe Disco Belle or Southern Belle?

• katrina1
    17 years ago

I think it could even be a hardy swamp hibiscus which was grown from seed. If a few of the leaves begin to yellow, simply ensure that the soil is kept moist.

It should open new flowers every day which close and fall off once the day's light becomes significantly dim.

The leaves and stems should go dry late this fall when cold winter temps occur. At that time and with some manual hedge sheers, simply cut the dried canes down to 4-6 inches high and mulch the bed around and over where the roots should have spread during this year's growing seasons.

It is true that a hardy hibiscus should only go dormant over the winter. If the original plant does die for some reason this winter, the plant should have dropped seeds which will sprout and grow large enough by next June, that you can determine that is what they are.

Any seeds which are broadcast outside of the bed will usually only survive in constantly wet soil. This usually makes it easy to keep seed bearing hibiscus from invading areas outside of the bed. Keep mowing those unwanted ones off and make certain that the soil in those areas stay more dry than you determine, this summer, that your current hibiscus can handle.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES