Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Rose of Sharon be grown in containers?

Posted by suel41452 z6b-7aVA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 4, 06 at 13:17

I want to grow a ROS as a standard (tree form) in a large pot - Is this possible? Thanx in advance for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Rose of Sharon be grown in containers?

I have...if you wish to email me direct..I can send you pictures.
Dorothy

o

Yes, they do very well in containers. They do need ample water in the growing season. Water every day and make sure the water runs out of the holes in the bottom of the pot. You can feed it with an All-Purpose fertilizer.

o

I dug (actually ripped) my 6'+ ROS out, with all intentions of tossing it, about 2 months ago. Being unable to throw ANYTHING away, I stuck it in a pot. It didn't skip a beat; no sulking, no drooping. I'm more shocked that it's blooming right now...

o

That's quite interesting, Tracey! What size pot did you use?
I would like to keep 2 ROS in foam pots on either side of my front entrance and keep them trimmed as "trees" to 5 feet max.
The reason I want to keep them in pots is I would like to keep them in an out-of-the-way spot in the spring - until they leaf out - before putting them in the front yard. I don't know about winter care, though. I wonder if I could just sink the pots in the ground over the winter? They would have drainage holes. Also, I don't know how often I would need to change the soil in the pot. TIA all for any info!

o

My pot isn't really as big as it should've been; I was 'holding' it for a friend, but still haven't gotten over there to plant it for her. I just needed something to put it in temporarily, and it was close by, so I grabbed it.

I have a picture at this link , which I was really taking a picture of the ragweed that showed up with a canna on the right :(

o

I have one in a pot. Grows nicely and blooms. They're not picky plants in the least. Have them in sun, shade, in between, garden, pots.... they all do equally well. Don't need to do anything with the pot over the winter. I leave mine outside along with the potted maple. Both come back just fine.

Hope that helps.

o

Thanks, all! I think I'll give it a try. I bought two blushing brides ( my favorites!!!) for only $5 each at Lowe's last week. At that price I feel free to experiment!!

o

I bought a beautiful Collie Mullens Rose of Sharon tree (about 4-5 ft high) 2 years ago, did beautiful in very large pot in sunny spot of my patio. This year it is a bare twig, did not do that last year. I scraped bark & see green, is it going to ever put on some leaves & bloom its beautiful deep pink flowers, please someone give me some advice. Paid a good deal for this tree, & it is a tree, not a shrub. Hate to think of losing it. Thanks!

o

All my hibiscus are in pots so I can move them for color contrast. Currently my RoS Blue satin is in the grow room blooming like crazy (3-7) flowers a day. Image below.

o

i have one growing in a pot. its a piece of one that i just stuck into the pot and it rooted and this is its 2nd year. its in a large cast iron pot with part shade part sun. it has leaves growing right now :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here