Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eeyore_ok

what kind of hib is this???

eeyore_ok
18 years ago

I don't know how to put a pic here, but I put one in the gallery. I got this as a very small seedling this spring, it was supposed to be a texas star, but I am beginning to have my doubts. I started texas star seeds from a company also, the plants look similar but are not the same. It is about 3 ft tall and 3ft wide. Has one main trunk with branches off of it...like a christmas tree. Leaves are 5 and 7 lobed and very serrated. Leaf stems have small burrs or thorns on them. It has not bloomed or set buds yet.

Does anyone have an idea what this is.

My teens think they know what it is, ha ha, they also think mom has gone nuts for growing it.

Comments (3)

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

Your kids are right....sort of. It's a Hibiscus cannabinus (named such because of the leaves looking like Cannabinus). It should start having pretty maroon colored flowers on it.

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

OH! Meant to ask you, does it have small thorns on the stems? If so, it's a H. cannabinus, if not, it's probably a H. radiatus. Same flowers, but the radiatus flowers are larger.

• eeyore_ok
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bruggirl,
    Thanks for replying, I believe you are right, Yes it does have small thorns on the leaf stems. I can't wait til this has blooms. Thanks

Sponsored