Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ippymiss

Hardy Hib. Want to get cuttings

ippymiss
15 years ago

Hi, I have a Hardy Hibiscus (dinner plate) and I want to start more cuttings. Is it too late in the summer to do this?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/ippymiss/100_0518.jpg

this is last years picture and this year it is twice as big and starting to bloom .

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:242764}}

Comments (3)

• ippymiss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This spring I pulled some starts and got one to come up, I really do want to fill my hillside up with them. Im afraid to cut anything right now, as it is getting ready to bloom. Last fall I cut some and put in water and they died, not sure what to do. I am not very good with seeds and not to sure as to what to do with them or even when to start the seeds. HELP!

I have a very green thumb but do not want to hurt my bush.

• gansn
    15 years ago

it's really too late to take cuttings. The ends are not soft enough to root. Hibiscus seeds are not that hard to get started. I usually plant some in gallon pots in the fall and leave on my porch. They germinate in early spring.

In the spring I can pull off a mostly dead branch, trying to get it out of the dirt and if I break it off so that there is some green at the bottom, I can put it in a pot of dirt and it will root and grow well.

• palmfan
    15 years ago

I respectfully disagree. I think one can easily root hibiscus cuttings at this time of year. Place your cuttings in potting or seed starting mix. Put the pots under an overturned fish tank in a shady spot with a bit of dappled sunlight. Avoid direct sun or your cuttings WILL be toast. I have rooted hardy hibiscus cuttings quite easily during the summer, and I am planning to root some more very soon. I have a good assortment of tropical, subtropical and hardy varieties that all winter outdoors here in southern New Jersey (zone 7/8) in lower Cape May County. I have always treasured these links to the tropics!

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA