Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snickerkitten

Rose of Sharon- how long to recup?

SnickerKitten
18 years ago

I planted a Purple Rose of Sharon Althea a few weeks ago and expected it to get sad for a while and then perk up. It's still looking very sad, yellowing leaves, no blooms, fewer leaves. I recently moved another hibiscus and it looked sad for a few days and is already perking back to it's old self while the other one is just not picking up. I fed her when I planted her and have been watering her nearly daily (the other days we've gotten quite a bit of rain.

I'm in Orlando if that helps and she's planted on the South facing side of my house getting sun all day.

Lori

Comments (2)

• bruggirl
    18 years ago

I think I answered this on the Florida forum, but here goes again. ROS does not do well in our area, unfortunately. I've had one for years that just struggles, doesn't grow, doesn't die. Stick with the tropicals.

• SnickerKitten
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yup, you did, I asked there after there were no answers here.

I was actually thinking I'd just pull it up and use that space for something more useful like say..... MILKWEED!!!!! when I took a look and she's got new tiny green leaves and little tiny shoots coming out.

I'm getting smart now and sticking to paying for only native butterfly host and nectar plants and only trying other things if I can get them in trade.

I saved another woman in a garden center from the same frustration the other day and steered her away from an ROS and showed her a real pretty double yellow hibiscus they had.

Lori

Sponsored