Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgyimesi

Hibiscus Trees

kgyimesi
16 years ago

I bought 2 Hibiscus trees with braided stems at Home Depot and decided to plant them into the ground in Richmond, VA. They're doing beautifully and just blowing out blooms. I know I'll have to dig them up and put them in a container for the winter.

I'm trying to find some information on the Hibiscus Trees and its hard to come by. is the care any different than the shrubs, how tall will they grow? Should I try to keep braiding the stems?

Comments (2)

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

For some great info on hibiscus (including growing them in colder climates) I'd check out the Queen of the Tropics webpage. I use it all the time and it's recommended by the Amercican Hibiscus Society.
    As far as continuing to braid it; I bet it would be a thankless task. It was braided, then allowed to branch out and get full after that.
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics

• acacius48
    16 years ago

Hello! I bought a braided hibiscus about a year and a half ago. Well I had the same thought of continuing braiding and lets just say its best to not to. Its not very flattering what you can braid and will end up putting the bush into unwanted stress and not to expect blooms for a while... :( I say just prune the bush every spring just a lil so it doesnt go into shock. But do so it can flourish and become much fuller. Other wise you will have long stragley branches.(thats why i thought to braid) By trimming you will make the bush more fuller. I hope i helped. :) Learn from my mistakes.

p.s. Just in case your wondering i ended up unraveling the ugly braid i attempted and the bush still in shock but much fuller from the dramatic trimming. Hopefully my hib will be bringing beautiful blooms again.