Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1fullhouse

I think I killed my first hibiscus's...HELP!

1fullhouse
16 years ago

Ok, first, totally new gardener here. I received 2 Cairo Pink plants in a swap. Both were rooted and about 8" tall. I 'thought' I had the perfect spot in my front yard where I had just tilled and added compost. This area gets about 6-7 hours of sun per day. Well I planted them, and watered deeply on Tuesday night. Yesterday I get home from work and all of the leaves were wilted and crispy. The branches are still green and firm though. I almost cried. OK, so obviously the heat here was too much becuase they were bone dry when I got home. Should I just keep watering them (more obviously), or should I move them to a container with more shade until they are more accustomed?

Please help!

Comments (8)

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi seraki,Welcome to Garden Web.
    Hibiscus Moscheutos 'Cairo Pink'as a Hardy Hibiscus is rather easy to grow.Since the branches are green and firm,the plants can be recovered.The best thing you can do is to plant them in to the ground,providing a little morning sun and dappled shade to the rest of a day.Keep watering.Be sure the drainage is good.If you have not such spot around the house then put them to containers with a tropical or potting soil mix.Give a light,but not afternoon sun.Do not give any fertilizer until they show groving.I wish your Hibiscuses will do well fast.
    Hala.

• 1fullhouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks a bunch Hala. I'm going to move it closer to the house tonight, so it will only get morning sun. I'll make sure I give it much more water. I know the drainage in this bed is good, the soil was just tilled the day before I planted it.

I have some rooting horomone. Should I put a little of that on the roots to 'help' it along?

• halaeva
    16 years ago

seraki,

Rooting hormone will not harm your plants, maybe will stimulate root growing.
    It is better not to remove damaged leaves yet as they are of some protecton for stems. You say ,you will do it tonight,do it after sun set or tomorrow before sun rise.
    Hala.

• 1fullhouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again for your quick response. I will do it tonight after sunset then.

• 1fullhouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wanted to let you know that I saw some new growth already on them this morning. Thanks again for all your help! Looks like they are going to make it!!!

YAY!!!

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi seraki.
    I wander how are your plants doing now? May i ask for your update? If they are not well there is a chance that somebody else will reply with better advice.
    Regards-Hala.

• 1fullhouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. One of them died. :( The other one is doing much better. I am starting to see some new growth on it too now. I've been keeping a very close eye on it. There are only about 4-5 1" or smaller leaves on that one. The weather here has been nice too, not as hot as usual. So I think that has helped. THanks for asking. :)

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi seraki,
    It is a very bad news for me. I am sorry.I wish your plant will be growing well and you will enjoy having it.
    Hibiscus starts growing very slowly.
    Thanks for your reply, i appreciate that greatly.
    Hala.

Sponsored