Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to spray my hibiscus with

Posted by DebbieP z8 Ga (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 05 at 15:27

Hi,my hibiscus are being ate by grasshoppers.I know its grasshoppers as I've picked some off.What to spray with?I'm sort of leary of spraying as I'm afraid of killing them.I once sprayed a rose bush(expensive bush)and I followed directions but the very next day it starting dying.I believe it was a bad batch of spray.)So what to do about the grasshoppers?Thanks in advance.They don't seem to like the tropical ones,just the dinnerplates,etc..Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to spray my hibiscus with

Go to your favorite big box home improvement store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.)and buy Cygon. It can be used as both a spray and as a systemic. Also, find a spray insecticide to kill grasshoppers. Follow instructions and water the plant with Cygon. It is taken up by the roots into the tissues. When the bugs eat, they die. Now, use the other spray to spray your entire yard. Spray the lawn and any shrubs with the "other" spray. It will kill grasshoppers (and mosquitoes) hiding in your lawn and shrubs. I've used Cygon successfully on perennial, tropical and althea hibiscuses.

o

I have tiny green worms eating my Hibiscus leaves. I used a house and garden spray and also picked off some worms. I haven't noticed the worms on my Rose of Sharon. They will eat a leaf in no time. Not bothered with grasshoppers yet.

o

I had the green worms too...and little white bugs and aphids...and ants...I use a tiny amount of dish soap diluted with water, pick them off, brush them off or soak the plant with a hose. However, mine is a hardy one with small red flowers and thick leaves. I wouldn't try that on a tropical...i had to move my tropical inside because of the scorching texas heat!

o

Dusting or spraying with Sevin is actually the most effective control for grasshoppers. It's pretty safe, as chemicals go.

o

I have been using Liq. Sevin also and it works well. You need to respray after each rain for best control

o

Thank you.I will most likely use the sevin dust as I couldn't find the cygon at lowes.We have some huge grasshoppers too.They only seem to bother the hibiscus right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here