Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lily51_gw

hibiscus seeds

lily51
13 years ago

I have had a hardy hibiscus (frisbee) in the garden for many years. Each year it has many bloom, but has never, ever re-sown itself with seeds or spread in any way.

It is a beautiful, healthy plant.

Could I save the seeds and try sowing these in the greenhouse this coming year? I would prefer to do this over cuttings, just from the simpleness of seeds aspect.

Figured since it didn't sow itself, maybe wouldn't work in the greenhouse either.

Comments (8)

• ladyharley
    13 years ago

I don't understand. You say it doesn't re-sown itself??? Exactly what do you mean? If you have seeds I would sow them as for me, the seeds work better than cuttings or you could try both.

• lily51
    Original Author
    13 years ago

what I said is that it has never re-sown itself; Or you could say it doesn't re-seed itself.

What I mean is that some perenniels, biennniela and even annuals will drop seeds during the growing season that sprout the following year. So it's not the original plant, but its seeds that germinate and continue.

• marge727
    13 years ago

I've grown them for years and I agree--I haven't ever seen seeds. I know cuttings work

• ladyharley
    13 years ago

you have to propagate the flowers to get seeds...very easy to do

• ladyharley
    13 years ago
  • wally_1936
    13 years ago

All Hardy Hibiscus need pruning and the those cuttings can be a start for many more. I would think it would would be so much easier and faster to start more this way than waiting for seeds.
    Paul

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

I received several packs of hibiscus seeds in trades last year and winter sowed them. They not only grew from seed--up to 2 1/2 ft.--one of them produced two gorgeous blooms in the past week. I bought a 'Luna Blush' plant last summer, harvested the seeds and winter sowed those too and they grew strong & healthy from seed. The mature plant sent out 5 lovely flowers and there are two seedpods on the plant as we speak so I'll have more seeds to winter sow this year.

• momovtwo
    13 years ago

For years I've been under the impression that hardy hibiscus doesn't set seed. I have 4 plants yellow, peach, red and pink. I have no idea what variety they are, but I would love to try my hand at getting them to seed. Are there any rules on what colors to cross, or in my case should I just go for it and see what happens?

Sponsored